This article contains basic instructions for the operation of the TLK 100 device. For full instructions on the operation of the TLK 100, consult the TLK 100 Radio User Guide.
- Talkgroup/Contact list scroll rocker
- On/Off/Info Button
- LED Status Indicator
- Push-to-Talk (PTT) Button
- Volume Button
- Menu/Contact List Button
- LED Display
- USB Port
- Audio Accessory Port
- High Output Speaker
- LTE antenna
- Charging Contacts
Turning the Radio On
Short press the On/Off/Information Button (Button 2).
If successful, the green LED lights up and the display shows a power-on animation.
NOTE: Long press the On/Off/Information Button to power up the radio when the radio is charging.
Making a Group Call
A ‘Group Call’ is a transmission that goes out over a specific Talkgroup. All individuals listening to that Talkgroup will receive the transmission.
To make a group call
- To transmit over the currently selected Talkgroup you may first wish to determine which Talkgroup you currently have selected. Use the Talkgroup/Contact List Scroll Rocker (1) to see and
scroll through the Talkgroup and Contact list.
- Press the PTT button to make the call. The green LED lights up. The display shows the Talkgroup alias.
- Wait for the Talk Permit Tone to end and speak clearly into the microphone. Release the PTT button to listen for a response.
- The green LED blinks when the target radio responds.
The call ends when there is no voice activity for a predetermined period. The radio returns to the screen you were on before initiating the call.
The TLK 100 supports a list of Talkgroups from WAVE. Use the Channel Rocker to select the Talkgroups on the TLK 100 device display.
- Move the Talkgroup/Contact list scroll rocker and stop on the desired Talkgroup.
- Press and hold the Push-to-Talk (PTT) button. Wait until the short alert tone ends before talking.
NOTE: If you hear a continuous beeping error tone then another unit is trying to transmit and you should release the PTT button.
- Release the PTT button when you are done talking.
Making a Private Call
A Private Call is a call from an individual radio to another individual radio.
To make a Private Call
- Long press side button to access the Individual Contacts list. (Button 6).
- Scroll through the contact list using Talkgroup/Contact List Scroll Rocker until the right contact is displayed. You can also use the volume up / down buttons to scroll through the Contact list.
If “X” precedes the contact, then the contact is in Do Not Disturb (DND) mode and a reject tone sounds when PTT button is pressed.
- Press the PTT button to initiate the Private Call. The green LED lights up.The display shows the caller alias.
- Wait for the Talk Permit Tone to end and speak clearly into the microphone. Release the PTT button to allow reception.
- When you are done, press the side button (6) on the device to disconnect the Private Call. Private Calls also timeout after a few seconds of inactivity and the TLK 100 returns to Talkgroup call mode.
Recieving Private Calls
When you receive a Private Call the green LED blinks. Your radio generates an inbound call alert tone before the inbound audio call. You hear a short alert tone the moment the transmitting radio releases the PTT button, indicating the channel is free for you to respond.
- To respond to the call, press PTT button. The green LED lights up.
Wait for the Talk Permit Tone to end and speak clearly into the microphone.
- Release the PTT button to listen.
The call ends when there is no voice activity for a predetermined period.
Understanding Status Indicators
Understanding Battery Indicators